History and Genealogy 

Churches

The Valley Head Baptist Church was constituted in 1845, the same year the Southern Baptist Convention was organized. From 1845 to 1898 the church was named Mount Zion. The churches in this area were members of the Cherokee Baptist Association until 1905 when the DeKalb County Association was organized. Early worship services were held in a frame building that was also used for the school on the hill across from the present city park. Brother C. Y. Culberson wrote a brief history that was printed in the DeKalb County Herald on December 6, 1921. Brother Culberson stated that an effort was made in the year of 1886 to agree on moving the church to town, but the matter fell through. It seems that from his account of the consideration that they discussed, they were without a building for some time. He says, "Finally, after much wild effort we settled on the old site and rebuilt." In 1892, Rev. S. R. C. Adams was called to the care of the church. During the years of 1894 up to and including 1905 we find the following names as pastors, A. J. Noblet, G. W. Carr, Thomas Hartline. In closing his history, Brother Culberson said, "The abiding faith of a few finally led them to a beautiful new home in the town of Valley Head; which is a living monument of the fact God works in a mysterious way his wonders to perform." The minutes of the Cherokee Baptist Association lists the church Mount Zion up to and including 1897. That year the Pastor was Rev. T. W. Hartline, the clerk was George Karr (Carr) and membership was 44. The 1898 Minutes listed Valley Head Church with the same pastor and clerk with a membership of 43. One letter had been granted. They had services two Sundays a month. The 1920 letter the DeKalb Association shows that Rev. W. P. Kelley was pastor. The church membership was 47. Sunday School enrollment was 63, WMV enrollment of 18. The offering given from June to October was $187. $112 was spent on local work and $75 on convention causes. Copied form loose papers at Valley Head Town Hall

The Valley Head Presbyterian Church was organized in the parlor of the William Overton Winston home in 1872. Today the home is know as Winston Place and the church as the Winston Memorial Presbyterian Church. By way of "Letters of Dismissal" from the Gadsden Presbyterian Church, the following became members of the newly organized Valley Head Presbyterian Church: John Sturat, Benjamin F. Paine, Maria L.B. Winston, James M. Hoge, Elizabeth Hoge, Mary Hoge and Auguste Hoge. On the following Sunday, John Stuart, James Hoge and Benjamin F. Paine were elected Elders. Rev. James Watson was pastor and preached the first sermon May 22, 1872. In the beginning services were held at Winston Place, and after a time the congregation shared a facility with the Valley Head Methodist Church. In about 1899 a white framed structure was completed. In 1903 a Miller organ was procured by Major F. Y. Anderson. By 1929 a brick building was built and dedicated as the "Winston Memorial Presbyterian Church." The 100th anniversary of the church was celebrated and the old church bell in a new bell tower was dedicated on the third Sunday in May 1972, with the following families present: Alexander, Atkins, Barnard, Chadwick, Davenport, Hall, Holt, Larmore, Lowry, Moorman, Paine, Thompson, and Winston. Copied from loose papers at Valley Head Town Hall

United Methodist Church  1852

John’s Chapel Baptist Church  1885

Davenport Memorial Chapel  1889

Valley Head Baptist Church 1845

Winston Memorial Presbyterian Church  1872

Violet Hill Baptist Church

Lea’s Chapel Church

Whitehall  Methodist Church 1888

Built as a Presbyterian church in 1888, was purchased by the Methodists in 1919-1920.  The cemetery up the road from the church was established in 1835 on land donated by John and Clara Keith White and is known as White Hall Cemetery.