Head Springs was a community built around a church. A group of settlers of the same faithful convictions, with the same purpose, and a determination to prosper, provided a solid foundations for the beginnings of the Head Springs community.
Head Springs Primitive Baptist Church of Christ
This church was constituted on the Saturday before the third Sunday in September 1835. The history of the church states that the original members came to north Alabama from Kentucky.
The first business session was held Saturday, September 19, 1835 and after examination by Elders Samuel McBee and George Walker, pronounced a Baptist Church of Christ with the following members:
Hiram Bennett, David Dobbs, William Hughes, Michael Gray, Isaac Wilbyne, John F. Wilbyne, William Krays, John W. Chadwick, John Barnes, Joseph Bookout, John Hicks, Thomas Chadwick, Dasha Bennett, Fanny Dobbs, Elizabeth Hughes, Polly Gray, Polly Rowen and Tabitha Krays. On that first business day the Head Springs Congregation received Sarah Wilbyne for membership and appointed Brother Hiram Bennett church clerk at the “Head Springs Meeting House at Lookout Creek”. After the church was constituted that third Saturday in September 1835, the doors of the church were opened and the following persons were received as members:
“Isaac by letter a man of colour the property of Elizabeth Packs.”
“Brother Jehu Barnes by letter and Sister Marian Thomas by letter.”
On the following Sunday, September 10, 1835 after evening service the following person was received into membership:
“Sister Caty by letter a woman of colour the property of Elizabeth Packs.”
On September 24, 1853, Elijah Bouldin donated one acre of land to include “a meeting house” to the Predestinarian Baptist Church of Christ at Lookout Valley. This transaction was witnessed by William Graves and Enoch York, then filed with the Judge of Probate, R. Estes.
The Predestinarian Baptist Church of Christ at Lookout Valley was a member of the Sequachee Valley Association of Baptist until 1954.
Copied from the collection of VB Beaty
Deer Head Cove is located in the extreme northeast corner of DeKalb Co Alabama about four miles from the Alabama, Georgia state line. A steep, winding dirt road snakes down Sand Mountain to a cove cradled by the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. This is rugged terrain, and one of the first places the to be seen by the new settlers searching for farm land. They came from Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee. They came from as far away as New York and Pennsylvania. Their families where from the Tidewaters of Virginia and Maryland, and the Ohio Valley. One of the first congregation was a group that organized and called themselves the Mt. Paran Primitive Baptist Church of Christ. The church was organized before June of 1851.
Mt Paron Church Member add in Oct
Mt Paron Members Female
Mt Paron Members Female 2a
Mt Paron Members Female 2b
Mt Paron Members Male
Mt Paron Members Male 2a
Mt Paron Members Male 2b
Mt Paron Members Female 2c