Old Valley Head Cemetery

Old Valley Head Cemetery Restoration Project

The above stone has no name. There are many graves in the

Old Valley Head Cemetery, most are unmarked. An effort is

under way to make the cemetery more accessible and to gather the

historical information related to the Deans, Coopers, Burdens, Taylors

and others buried at the site of the first and oldest Valley Head Baptist Church site.

Thomas Dean Lucretia Dean

James Cooper Lucinda Cooper

William B. Taylor, Jr.

2 thoughts on “Old Valley Head Cemetery”

  1. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/70181027/james-mason-white
    Rev James Mason White
    BIRTH 22 Oct 1858
    Valley Head, DeKalb County, Alabama, USA
    DEATH 8 Jul 1955 (aged 96)
    Valley Head, DeKalb County, Alabama, USA
    BURIAL
    Valley Head Cemetery
    Valley Head, DeKalb County, Alabama, USA

    This cemetery was established in 1888.
    The “Old Valley Head” established about 1845, sight of the original Baptist Church, became inaccessible, on a hill, the ground frozen to hard to dig in winter, in the summer too wet and muddy to traverse.

  2. This may be a long shot, but looking for my great grandfathers burial site which I believe may be in the old Valley Head Cemetery. Here is an article on him.

    De Kalb County’s Best Loved Man
    Preacher-Millman Called

    Dekalb’s Best Loved Man

    “Uncle Doc” White never too busy to quite ordinary labors to “Work for the Lord”

    By George Nagel

    Birmingham News staff writer

    Valley Head, Ala. “Uncle Doc” White minister, miller, lumberman and ginner, has probably married and “buried” more people than any man in DeKalb County.

    His name is J. M. White. He was 7 years old when the Yankee soldiers were stationed at Valley Head and he remembers those days. “But by the grace of the Good Lord,” he has almost managed to forget and forgive them for the hardships and suffering their presence visited on him and his family.

    Today “Uncle Doc’s” time is devoted to the “work of the Lord” and service to his brothers. Under the Lord’s work, “Uncle Doc” puts marrying, funerals and preaching. Many a day couples have come to his sawmill in White’s Gin near here wanting to get married. “Uncle Doc” brushes the saw dust off his coat, leads them to his office and performs the ceremony.

    On several occasions, he has married them in the middle of the road where he met them on their way to find him at the church. He doesn’t have to use a book. “Got the whole thing in his head” and can perform a ceremony anywhere at any time. The only time he uses a book is at a “ring ceremony” and that’s usually held at the church. “Uncle Doc” doesn’t think that elaborate surroundings and a long ceremony are necessary. “After all, only the feelings and the sincerity of the boy and girl count.”

    You will seldom attend a funeral in the country that “Uncle Doc” is not there to say a few words of comfort to the saddened hearts.

    “Uncle Doc” has been preaching since the second Sunday in 1896 when he was ordained. For 26 years he has preached at Rockbridge Church on Lookout Mountain and for 15 years at David Chapel, New Home Church and Bethel Baptist Churches.

    It was back in the late ‘80’s during one of the most awakening revivals that ever swept the country, that “Uncle Doc” saw the light of Calvary and professed a faith in the strong arm of Israel’s God. It was one of those “all day singings and eating on the grounds.” While the congregation was having lunch in the shade of the trees, “Uncle Doc” remained by the altar and when he arose his face was filled with a bright and radiant smile. It was soon afterward that he received his license to preach.

    Blessed with good health, he is now in his eighty-first year and still actively engaged in business he has built up during a lifetime. “The work of the Lord” comes first and he is always ready to drop what he is doing whenever he gets a call to join a couple in marriage, officiate at a funeral or deliver a sermon for his Master.

    The date on the article is illegible, but it appears to be from the Birmingham News, Feb. 14, 1940. There are two photographs with the article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.